Tuesday 21 February 2023

Monday 20th January - Cake!

 Yesterday was an unsettling sort of day, but was happily improved by CAKE.

Biscoff cake, which I found on the Sainsburys website. And I quote;

Biscoff three-ingredient cake

This is one of those weird tricks of science that it's best not to think too hard about! If you're in need of a low-maintenance, minimal ingredient bake for a quick elevenses treat, look no further than this science-defying Biscoff bake, made from 1 x 400g of Biscoff spread, 2 large eggs and one and a half teaspoons of baking powder. 

Preheat your oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas mark 4 and line a 20cm cake tin. 

Put the spread in a bowl and heat in the microwave until just liquid. Whisk in the baking powder and then the eggs. Pour the batter into the baking tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comesout clean. We're not telling you to melt even more Biscoff spread and pour ir over the top to decorate...but you won't be sorry.  



 So that's their version. I used half a jar, one egg and three-quarters of a teaspoon of baking powder. Whisking didn't really seem possible - it all became the most unlikely sort of mixture, reminiscent of very soft unbaked ginger biscuits. 


I combined it all as best as I could, dumped it into a 15cm tin and baked it in the air fryer at 160 for 20 mins, I think; I tested it with a skewer. 

It was delicious, but very rich and sweet and I am delighted that I DIDN'T melt more Biscoff spread and pour it on the top!


I served it in little squares, and then we went back for more, and then more more, and now there isn't any more.

The book club is shying away from reading T S Eiot's 'The Wasteland' and looks to be heading for the Stella Gibbons book, 'Nightingale Wood'. I hope they are not expecting something like 'Cold Comfort Farm'...


11 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated by this as in both pics the cake looks so much as though it contains flour! I can totally understand that even though it was very sweet you just had to keep eating it - I would be the same :)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't belive it either, but the Biscoff spread seems to be made from finely powdered Biscoff biscuits, so it must somehow sort itself out... but how?

      Delete
  2. I love Biscoff biscuits but have never seen the spread. Now I shall hunt it down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be warned, it is very addictive, like the biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so intrigued by this recipe that I was compelled to make it myself! It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing. Have you tried making chocolate cake using mayonnaise instead of the butter and the eggs?

      Delete
    2. No....that really does sound weird!

      Delete
    3. I remember being given the recipe at a tupperware party. I have a feeling it worked pretty well; mayonnaise is just egg and fat, isn't it?

      Delete
    4. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/466502/recipe/chocolate-mayonaise-cake

      Delete
    5. The mayonnaise we get in France nearly always contains mustard! I'd better take some from the UK with me when I go......not long now!

      Delete