Sunday 19 February 2023

Sunday 19th February - Book Club date creepeth closer

I shall send an email round the group; our next meeting is in 10 days or so and I need to circulate my suggestions;

Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss - creepy story of historical re-enacters rebuilding an ancient (stone age?) sacrificial construction and getting too involved in the rea-enacting

Ghost Music  by An Yu - bewildering story set in China as pianists life slowly unravels as she discovers more about her husband

Nightingale Wood by Stella Gibbons - much lighter, sharply observed and often hilarious story, about the difficulties for a young woman 'of a certain class' in finding a suitable husband, especially when you are completely financially dependent upon your parents

The Running Hare by John Lewis-Stempel - beautiful nature writing about creating a small traditional wheatfield

and my 'wild card';

I've never read 'The Four Quartets',  four longer poems by T S Eliot.  I wonder if anyone else in the club fancies having a go? I keep tripping across quotations that I have heard before 

Time present and time past

Are both perhaps present in time future

And time future contained in time past.


Do not let me hear
Of the wisdom of old men, but rather of their folly,
Their fear of fear and frenzy, their fear of possession,
Of belonging to another, or to others, or to God.
The only wisdom we can hope to acquire
Is the wisdom of humility: humility is endless


The river is within us, the sea is all about us


April is the cruellest month

and many more.

I've sent off for a secondhand copy. along some study notes to help ne along

2 comments:

  1. Another quote "they call me the Hyacinth Girl" (TSEs girl probably grew better blossoms than I)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And "We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time." And many more. If the club isn't interested, you won't be sorry, I think, if you explore the four poems on your own. There's a good audio recording of Ralph Fiennes reading the whole quartet.

    ReplyDelete