Tuesday 14 February 2023

Tuesday 14th February - Happy Valentine's Day

I made a small heart shaped chocolate cake, and himself has eaten most of it with some vanilla ice cream this evening. We shall finish it tomorrow. 


 The maths was correct,  I just didn't put the correct figure on the board for the weight of unused wool. 37g, not 27g, so I will have plenty for the second sock.

My new slowcooker recipe book 'Bored of Lunch' arrived yesterday. 

(Is that title grammatically correct?). I chose 4 recipes, 2 soups, 2 mains, and just went down the ingredient lists, ordering everything from Ocado to be delivered tomorrow.  Then I shall make up the recipes, one every day. Chilli con carne, potato and leek soup, honey shredded chicken, chicken noodle soup. I know, who needs a recipe for potato and leek soup? But the other recipes are full of interesting flavours; sriracha, hoisin, peanut butter, curry leaves..., none of which we have in the cupboard. 

All the recipes make 4 large servings so if I portion things out carefully I may well get more than this. I will often hold back some of the extra liquid to make the beginnings of another soup.

We tend to have a main meal at lunchtime, and then soup, or something on toast or sandwiches at about 6 in the evening. It seems like we were doing a sort of 12 hour overnight fast long before Dr Michael Moseley made this the latest healthy eating thing.

Tonight was smoked mackerel, bread and butter and a small salad of tomatoes, peppers, sweetcorn and cooked green beans. For salad dressing I combined hot paprika tomato ketchup and mayonnaise. Excellent! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm heartily sick of those adverts telling me 'there's an ocado just for you'... Not in this neck of the woods there ain't, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten, if you google something like "bored of vs bored with" you'll get varying responses. To people of our generation it's "bored with", and some authorities still say this is the formally correct form (or, less commonly, "bored by"). BUT: "bored of" seems to be young people's favoured construction, and my linguist/translator stepson has me (almost) convinced that what's "correct" is what people are actually saying. So I'm in the rearguard on this one, and I have many other example of things I will never say or write in my (shortening!) remaining years, despite finding myself increasingly in the minority. Yea for crockpot cooking! Of all my church congregation's various food ministries, teaching people crockpot cooking and giving them a crockpot is probably the best. We find some underhoused people do have a place to plug in a crockpot even when they don't have much in the way of cooking facilities. And with food prices going sky high, it's a way to show them how to make cheaper, nutritious meals. Some of them have never themselves cut up and cooked a carrot before. We've been asked to extend it to clients of our government-sponsored youth employment program. Love your Pooh, very Shephard-like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative way of helping people! Crockpots are relatively cheap appliances, and the recipes, prep, and subsequent clearing up are so simple.

    ReplyDelete