Wednesday 10 May 2023

Wednesday 10th May - Treasures in the post

My godfather, well into his 90s, died nearly two weeks ago. I've not been in touch for some years, although I  often thought of him, and I keep the prayer book he gave me for my confirmation, 50 years ago almost to the day, beside my bed. I enjoy the old-fashioned version of the psalms, with the leviathan and other monsters in the deep. The the old prayers are familiar from going to church with my grandmother when I was young. 

They are a bit like Shakespeare; we all quote from them almost without realising; "we have followed the devices and desires of our own hearts" and "we have done those things we ought not to have done, and left undone those things we ought to have done" for example. I ought to have written to him....  there will always be regrets.

His wife will be very busy with funeral attangements, but she has still found time to write to me twice; once to let me know, and then today I received a card from her with a long note, and enclosing two thank you letters I wrote when I was about 6, and 7. He had kept them in his desk... I have certainly left undone the things I ought to have done.

I have many good memories of times with him. He was a good man.

2 comments:

  1. May he rest in peace, and rise in glory. And may those who mourn be comforted 🙏

    ReplyDelete