Sunday 18 June 2023

Sunday 18th June - Rain!

We slept through the thunderstorm last night, and woke to the school hymn (it's a Christina Rossetti poem)

Morning has broken,

Like the first morning

Blackbird has spoken

Like the first word. 

The paths were already dry, but the leaves and grass glistened with drops of water. And the smell - is it called 'petrichor'? The smell after rain on dry land? Just lovely.

The sun soon broke through and by mid morning it felt as hot and dry as ever... until Kate in the afternoon when it rained steadily, purposefully, drenchingly.

I am embarking on the trickiest bit of the stitching now for the cross-stitch project, having finished the right hand motif during the livestream of the church service. I'm saving the easier bottom section until last. 

I've half dozed most of the afternoon. I'm in good company:



5 comments:

  1. Ah, the rain was refreshing! It happened to coincide with me sitting outside with a bucket of hot water, Nikiwax technical wash and 2 pairs of VERY muddy waterproof trousers (to my shame...from April). After I'd scrubbed them with a toothbrush, I left them on a rack in the rain so the rain could rinse them for me, for free (it told you to rinse them 3 times)- I figured the rain could do that job for me instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dozed during Van Der Balm this evening. And now I want to be asleep in bed but I'm very swake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Van der Valk? We're going to watch it later; we wanted an early night. Half an our of QI and then bedtime for us.

      Delete