Monday 14 August 2023

Thursday 1st June - knitting and reading, reading and knitting

Suddenly everything is growing at once in the garden. Even another pea has decided to germinate after I had given up all hope. I guess that's one lucky outcome from being so washed out all week, in that I hadn't got round to clearing out the apparently inert pots in the greenhouse. 

So there are upsides to feeling so sluggish at the moment! 

Every afternoon I've been able to sit outside for a while with a book and a cup of tea. Currently I'm reading an Anthony Trollope romantic 3-volume novel, 'Ayala's Angels'. Not at all what I was expecting from Anthony Trollope,  but good fun, light and easy. More like a Jane Austen in many ways. I wonder what set him to writing it? It poignantly sets out the very limited options available for young women - can they marry for love, or must they marry for money, to secure a future. For a woman without a husband or money has a desperate future ahead.

'The Real Mrs Miniver' and 'A Very Great Profession' have been put to one side until more brain cells are available...

So what do I do all day? I knit the sock; no brain cells required there, not even when it was time to do the forethought/afterthought heel placement at 7.5 inches, thanks to my paper ruler


which has the measurements for the various important moments all marked up.

I found some really contrasting yarn in my godmother's stash


 Now I just have to knit round and round and round...

And remember to stop eventually...

Knitting and reading seems to be the main way I'm spending my time at the moment. That's okay.... for now....!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment