Sunday 29 October 2023

Sunday 29th October - Trinity 21

 I use the old prayer book my godfather game me at my Confirmation service to find the collect, epistle and gospel for each Sunday.

Today is Trinity 21 - still in 'Ordinary Time', which is any period which is not Advent, Lent, Christmastide, Eastertide or anything else. Only another couple of Sundays to go before Advent, and we all know what that means - chocolate calendars and Advent candles! Christmas card lists and present lists and Christmas Day arrangements and - oh yes, getting ready to celebrate the Birth of Christ...

Ah well, reality does sometimes overtake spirituality...

Here's the collect;


See, whoever wrote the collect all those centuries ago, saw us coming...

...pardon and peace and a quiet mind...

I can think of a lot of places and people, nearer and further away who would welcome peace and a quiet mind. Praying that you too will have some peace and quiet where ever you are.   


5 comments:

  1. I have my prayer book given to me on my first Communion....such a long time ago now, but it is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't like to think how long ago it was that I received my book. No escape though, because my Godfather wrote a lovely message inside the front cover and dated it!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I don't like to think how long ago it was that I received my book. No escape though, because my Godfather wrote a lovely message inside the front cover and dated it!

      Delete
  2. We follow a reading booklet and on Sundays its always a Psalm. I see you're doing a virtual walk I've seen those advertised, is it worth it and does it make you want to walk? I have been to Yosemite the lake was ice cold, I only paddled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never occurred to me that the water would be cold; the thought made my toes curl! The virtual walking suits me, if I am doing a route that I find interesting, and logging the distance every day certainly helps push me to get up off the sofa and walk around in the advertisements on TV to log a few more steps!
      I think that some kind of daily reading plan is always a good idea, whether it is a book or a booklet or even just a plan you make up, like a chunk of one of the books every day.

      Delete