Tuesday 12 December 2023

Tuesday 12th December - Christmas Cards

 


I got 20 cards written this morning. The last posting date for Europe is tomorrow and I had 6 of those. Then one piano student as they were calling round, and some for family. I was feeling pretty chipper at having made a good start. That was when I thought I had a mere 75 on the list...

I spent the afternoon updating the list, adding missing addresses, changing the format as the one I was using was driving me crazy, adding in post codes, names of children etc. 

I had kept last year's cards as I knew there were some details I needed to get right. For instance the name of the lady at number xx is Not Margery as I had always thought! And what was the name of the oldest child of the family down the road?

Horrors! The list now stands at 100! A mix of miscounting and missing people off the original list. 

With the aid of the glass of sherry and the updated list I got another wodge of cards written, addressed, stamped and ready to go. It takes time as I write a shirt letter to quite a few of the recipients.

That's today's entire achievement. 

I've enough cards for the next 30 or so, but we'll need to buy more... not all to be posted, luckily, as some 20 will be local folks, and another 10 or more will be emails rather than real cards.

As my relatives, friends and neighbours get older I feel sending out cards becomes more important,  which is why I stick with it.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the importance of cards. I'm not too bothered about the people I see most weeks, it's the old friends who are really important. And when cards arrive, I no longer display them. Instead I put them in a small basket by my chair to to re-read many times over the Christmas period. Every blessing to you at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I send a few cards each year as a means of keeping touch with a few old friends and my family, who only seem to get together for weddings and funerals. I think it's important to let them know they are thought of even if we don't often make any other form of contect.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, about 10 cards are to childhood, school, and university friends that I hardly ever see, especially as we live at opposite ends of the country now, but share many memories with.

      Delete
  3. A glass of sherry does help things along,

    ReplyDelete