Friday 5 January 2024

Friday 5th January

 This morning I woke fairly early, probably around 7am, after Himself had already got up, dressed, opened the curtains, switched on the light and gone downstairs. 

I was lying facing the window,  which faces east, and was bemused to see an enormous full moon shining in, so close it seemed to be almost resting against the glass and rather pale against the dark blue sky. 

I was aware that the moon ought to be at the back of the house, and last time I had seen the moon, a few days ago, it was less than half full and waning. In the end I managed to work out that I was looking at the reflection of our bedroom light, which has a large white paper globe for a shade.

With that I closed my eyes again, and the next time I opened them it was after half past eight, the 'moon' had disappeared and the sky was pale blue-grey flushed with pink.

How can it be that I was alert enough  to know this 'moon' was on the wrong side of the house and in the wrong phase and the wrong size, and yet still be totally confused by this 'other moon' floating before my eyes? 


We have moved into another 'micro season' according to my book 'Nature's Calendar - the tear in 72 seasons'





The noticing exercise for January is paying attention to the sunsets but some recent sunrises have been beautiful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment