Monday 8 January 2024

Monday 8th January

Snow!

We don't often see snow here in the part of Sussex where I live. 

During the day we had slow, sleet, drizzle, rain, even brief moments of sun or near blizzard (I mean a Sussex-style blizzard, not a proper one)

When we closed the curtains it had stopped, and the temperature was dropping. I think that's it regarding snow for now.


I've decided to be far more conscious about picking up my mobile phone and tablet and aimlessly scrolling or and reacting to every text/email/notification as it comes in. Instant responses are not always necessary or useful. 

(When I was a teenager at school and then university, my parents lived on the other side of the world. Letters took a week to get from here to there, and from there to here, so getting an answer to a problem could take a fortnight or more by which time the misunderstanding with the history teacher, or other crisis, was all over...)

As a first step I'm going to try and read mostly real, paper books this month. There are a few Kindle books I read regularly, but I shall use a kindle reader rather than my tablet which will hopefully remove the temptation to 'quickly scroll through the news' or whatever. 

So, the photograph shows my current book (second hand from wob) and my elderly and underpowered kindle fire which I really don't enjoy using for browsing the Internet and isn't set up for emails. That should help me!


Also in the photograph is the 'second pink patterned sock'. I've got through the ribbing (phew) joined it in the round and am now making decent progress. With a self patterning yarn it's easy to decide 'I'll keep going until the colour changes.' Except when the colour change is yards and yards away.


Turning the pages of an old Commonplace Book of mine today I tripped across this entry;

Marjie is remonstratingwith Homer who is once again avoiding an unpleasant task and reaching for a beer instead; 'you know, Homer you are going to regret not getting this done.'

Homer's reply? 'That's a problem for future Homer! Man, I don't envy that guy!'


Yes. Well. Indeed.




No comments:

Post a Comment