Saturday 24 February 2024

Saturday 24th February

We had plans to take my father with us and meet up with our family this morning for coffee. We have a favourite cafe midway between where they live and we live, with plenty of outside seating. As long as it isn't raining or bitterly cold it's fine for a pleasant morning together.

I checked the forecast yesterday evening and promptly cancelled! When I looked out first thing today everything was covered in a white frost.  Throughout the day we had sun, drizzle and rain by turns but it was always cold!

So, an indoor day for all of us, although our son might well gave gone out for a walk in the afternoon. 

We had some of the chilli beef from the crockpot meal I made yesterday. It made six portions, or three meals, so the rest is now in two containers the freezer. I used the Bored of Lunch' recipe, leaving out the chocolate this time. Some cocoa or chocolate is a good idea, but 30g as given in the recipe is definitely toooo much. I add shall tomato puree and leave out the cinnamon next time.

The crockpot is now loaded with 'creamy peppercorn and mustard chicken' which I must remember to switch off at about 830 tonight.

Cross stitching is going well, and so is the book cover.

This does seem like a rather dull blog post today, but I'm grateful for a quieter day from time to time. After all, the saying 'may you live in interesting times' is supposed to be an ancient Chinese curse!

Now at the end of the day we are watching the film of 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' on television. It's very entertaining but nothing like I remember from the book!

From the website 'rotten tomatoes'

Oh quick, switch the television off! The film is ending with a really soapy saccherine song while the credits roll!

4 comments:

  1. I made a chicken casserole for 6 in the Crockpot , to divide into three meals. I used pearl barley. My 90 year old neighbour really told me off about it. She says you must only ever serve pearl barley with lamb, and her late husband would not touch it with any other meat. I said Bob loves it whatever. But she was not at all happy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like a real old-school cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Smoked Paprika in chilli, its' sweetness can offset the 'bite' of chilli pepper??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've got some so I'll give it a go!

      Delete