Saturday 27 April 2024

Saturday 27th April

Weather-wise, well, 'if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all'....

So, moving on...

The sprouting beans are amazing. I'm sure I must have green bean sprouts before but it would have been a long time ago. Nothing much is happening with the alfalfa seeds yet, but just look at these dear little shoots on the mung beans; I hope you can make them out.  I took the picture this morning so they had been growing for scarcely two days. 


This 'kitchen sink' gardening is going some way towards satisfying my craving to do Something, Anything ! in the vegetable garden outside, which is proving impossible while the weather is still so cold and wet.

This a very small lightweight quilt that I'm not particularly fond of. One side is made from scraps, strip pieces onto the filling, the other is a piece of Laura Ashley cotton rembant bou ght maybe thirty or more years ago and used for kitchen curtains for many years, I have a feeling that the filling was a mattress protector for a very narrow single bed. It may even have been here when we arrived forty years ago, acting as rather inadequate insulation on the old immersion tank.



Last night I eyed it up and decided it would be just the job for a prototype Bog Coat.

By this afternoon it was well on the way.



It's still only pinned together. I will finish it, as, with a few modifications it might become a useful loose cropped jacket. I now know that the sleeves need to be shorter, and I would prefer a slightly longer length. 

I used the whole quilt without making any cuts except for the sleeve fold and cutting out the neck, so I've almost no finishing to do at all. Once I've sewn the underarm seams which contine straight across to the front edges, and bound the neck, it will be about done.

(Having the new stair lift makes it so simple to get to the full length mirror on the upstairs landing; you can see my Inogen portable oxygen unit dangling from my shoulder. There's no way I would have gone upstairs without a very good reason before the stair lift was installed.)




2 comments:

  1. It looks as though it would be a cosy bed jacket too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what Ang replied when I sent her a photograph!

      Delete