Saturday 3 August 2024

Saturday 3rd August

 Well! This was an exciting day at the Olympics. I wasn't counting medals; it's just that the little bits I saw were gripping. The men's pommel horse (poor Max Whitlock) and wind surfing and the road bicycle race...

I was reflecting on the different mental and physical demands the sports make on the competitors... the sheer courage of the gymnasts and hockey players, the strength, the mental control and toughness for shooting and archery to mention but a few. Then there's the commitment and discipline needed by them and all their training support and their families.

The camaraderie and sportsmanship. 

I am in awe.

Meanwhile I sit on my comfortable settee and just watch them while munching a biscuit and enjoying a coffee... no comparison!


The sun finally emerged this afternoon, so here's that photograph of the first of the sweet peas.


My daughter gave me a box of speciality sweet peas seeds from Kew Gardens for Christmas and I am so pleased to have managed to preserve the seedlings from the monster molluscs.



8 comments:

  1. Such unusual sweet peas. Mine are all plain colours, but oh, the scent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This streaky one has a lovely scent, but is quite small in comparison to the beauties on your blog!

      Delete
  2. My sweet peas are just leaves. Not a flower in sight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These flowers appeared almost overnight. I had began to give up on them. This year is weird!

      Delete
  3. Oh Bother I missed Max Whitlock. He went to Granddaughters primary school and did a display for them last summer - the children loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor bloke was in tears; he went second of the competitors and watched as his position slipped down from silver to bronze to fourth. They were all outstanding.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to brag, but I've been picking and giving away sweet peas for several weeks. I've had a really good year for them. Three bowls in the house at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three bowls! You must be growing a forest of them! What's your secret, that's what we all want to know!

      Delete