Tuesday 6 August 2024

Tuesday 6th August

Chipping away at....

the decluttering;


four bags of books, clothes, bric-a-brac GONE out of the house! Yes sir, yes sir, FOUR bags FULL!

and at getting a proper chair for my father, who currently perches on a pile of three black square wheelchair cushions in a corner of the settee. I can quite see him losing his balance, toppling over and down to the floor and hitting his head on the coffee table on the way down;



 The printed catalogue and fabric swatches arrived today, sample chairs to try are being brought to his flat on Tuesday, and if we decided to order one of them, they could be delivered in 3 days... I have deliberately picked out the two styles and fabrics that can be express delivered. This is definitely the expensive way to go, but I do not have the time or the head space to shop around, visit showrooms, comb through secondhand shops and advertisements. I'll see how Tuesday turns out and I'm hoping we shall be successful.

and working through spreadsheets and collating information  - the time has come to give my father (95 years old!) a hand with his finances. The first step is to work through the paperwork!

NOTE TO SELF; if you want to show your love for your family, create a box, kept updated, with information about ALL my affairs. It's what my godmother did, bless her heart, and made our job as executors so much easier that it might have been. 

and finally, 
steadily getting on with all the twiddly fiddly little jobs that I would much prefer to put off 'until later'.

Parcels wrapped and posted, oxygen cylinders ordered, garden watered... no, I can't claim to have done that, as it rained all morning! 

9 comments:

  1. Love the chair style. I bought a very similar one from Dunelm recently and was surprised how good it was.
    I created a Box for my children gloomily called 'End of Life box', in which is everything they would need. Legal stuff, birth certs, lists of bank accounts etc etc. Every now and then I have to update it, but it seems a sensible thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother has suggested Dunelm - it would be a lot cheaper, but I'm keen to have an expert measure up my father to be sure to get a chair that will be a good fit. He's now not tall, and has always had short legs! We'll just see how this goes - we don't have to buy from the demonstrator.
      My father also told us about the importance of The Everything Box; apparently someone gave a talk at one of his PROBUS meetings about it. But I don't think he followed it through!

      Delete
  2. Being measured for a chair is very important. We made the mistake years ago of buying a riser recliner for my husband without proper measurements. It was never right, and when a very helpful lady from RAF Benevolent came to see him, she said he was in completely the wrong chair. They then kindly sent an OT to measure and produced a beautiful riser recliner for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really ought to put a box or accessible file on the pc. The girls know where our wills are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RannedomThoughts7 August 2024 at 09:27

    I'm sure you've already done this but if not.....Power of Attorney, but before then set up all bank accounts online keeping printouts of everything for your father to look at. Makes life so much simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall use power of attorney to do this once I have got the bank details... it is such a step by step process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little alarming how quickly a situation goes from being capable of managing one's affairs to not being capable. Why is why I'm sorting mine out properly now.

      Delete