Tuesday 3 September 2024

Tuesday 3rd September

 Today was a crazy day for mealtimes.

I had a respiratory assessment for home oxygen at 12.30 today (details in the My Oxygenated Life' post for today). I'll just say here 5hat it went very well indeed.

However, we left at 11am, the assessment took an hour, so we didn't get home until 2.30. Oh my word, lunch [our main meal) at 3 felt very strange!

The new oxygen equipment was installed and settled by around 7, We normally have a light tea/supper at 6, so that I can be sure of leaving around 4 hours before I lie down to sleep. This delay is to avoid reflux/heartburn, one of the effects of scleroderma. 

So what to do about supper? Something light, something easy.

Quick Soup for 2

Sweat a teaspoon of finely diced garlic and a couple of tablespoons of finely diced onion, (both from the freezer in my case), in some olive oil while you peel and finely dice a medium carrot and a medium potato. 

Add the carrot and potato to the onion and garlic, stir it around and add 500 ml (1 pint) of chicken or vegetable stock. I use Kallo stock cubes. Bring to the boil and simmer until the potato and carrot are soft.

While that's going on, rummage around in the fridge and freezer. Today I found 6 green beans in the fridge and some sweet corn in the freezer. So I prepped the beans and chopped them into little bits and added them to the pan with the sweetcorn. 

There's time to toast and butter two slices of bread, and then everything is ready. 

Check the seasoning. The stock will provide enough salt but a bit of pepper or lemon juice might be an idea.

Quick, easy, and 10-15 minutes from start to finish.

It was about all we wanted... now, we are ready to chill out with a rare glass of sherry (me) and single malt whisky (him)

Tomorrow is another day...



5 comments:

  1. My go-to quick meal is an omelette using up left-over veg : cold potatoes fried nice and crisp and a single sausage not much use for anything else. Then wrap it up in a tortilla (love love love carbs). Food of the gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh fried potatoes..... love them. Could eat a plateful on their own!

      Delete
    2. Ahhhh fried potatoes..... love them. Could eat a plateful on their own!

      Delete