Wednesday 11 September 2024

Wednesday 11th September

It's book club tonight.

I'll join with zoom, but there will likely be a few on zoom and several absent tonight. Covid is doing the rounds, which accounts for two of us, another two are unwell and one is away. By my reckoning that's nearly half the group! 

It's my turn to pick the book.

I offered four titles;





The first two are poetry, and I didn't really expect them to get many votes. I put them in because I was curious to see if anyone else I the group would be interested. Nope; zero votes!

I read 'A Single Thread' a year or so ago and loved it. The Tove Jansson is another re-read, from much longer ago. Tove Jansson may be better known for her Moominland books, which I don't know at all. This is not a children’s book, though. I think it's the story of a small girl and her family and her grandma living on a tiny island in Sweden, I think, for the Summer. I found it wonderful,  in the sense of having lots to wonder about...

The group seems to have chosen 'The Summer Book' and I am curious to see how they get on with it.

I've got both the poetry books and will dip in and out of them with pleasure.


8 comments:

  1. Loved The Single Thread and The Summer Book. Tracey Chevaliers latest is on it's way to me soon from the library - looking forward to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked them both too. I'm not surprised no-one went for the poetry, but I'm enjoying both books.

      Delete
  2. Well I loved the poems from the underground. We have two of them on the wall in the dining room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that they are short, and an interesting mix of old and new.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed A Single Thread, having spent my college Salad Days in Winchester. Love Fat Dormouse xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at boarding school in Winchester for a while, and loved the city and cathedral which is also why I enjoyed the book.

      Delete
  4. I've looked up The Summer Book and read a section, it really appeals to me, so added it to my library list, thank you for writing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's helpful being able to read an extract online, isn't it.

      Delete