Wednesday 25 September 2024

Wednesday 25th September

 I've been having a satisfying time with Wordle recently. I don't do it every day, and I frequently fail, so to succeed in 3 tries, and even, on one happy occasion to succeed in 1 try, is very pleasing. Once, my 'starter word', HOUSE happened to be the right word for the day... how lucky was that? (I doubt it will happen again)

Currently my starter words are HOUSE PLEAT PEACH or PAINT used more or less at random. HOUSE was the 'hole in one' word.

I'm very tempted by this Commonplace book simply because of the title;



So it's been added to my wishlist. Who is Hugh Cawdor? 

I've bought Alec McGuiness's Commonplace book. It's very erudite and literary so far; it will be interesting to see whether it continues in the same manner. 






5 comments:

  1. Hugh Cawdor does not seem to have been a very nice man, if the Internet is to be believed (it probably isnt)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't checked him out. It was the title of the book that caught my attention!

      Delete
    2. My bit of the Internet spoke reasonably well of him... he was highly spoken of as an enlightened landowner,. However he divorced his first wife and mother of their 5 children, and then married another woman She was praised in his obituary for helping to restore the castle and for nursing him through his illness with cancer. The problems arose when he left everything to his second wife... I can see how that would have caused problems in the family

      Delete
  2. Why does Wordle suddenly put one back to nought? I got as far as 51 and then suddenly back to 0. No reason. I use RAISE and YOUTH, getting all the vowels in plus Y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wordle streaks are a law unto themselves as far as I can make out. What brilliant starter words - I shall adopt them forthwith and hereinafter!

      Delete