Wednesday 9 October 2024

Wednesday 9th October

 I'm still writing up my holiday journal; we got back on Friday 27th September! I know why I stalled. It was because I was putting off trying to tackle copying the couple of photographs of Ely cathedral. 

We only had about an hour to look round; just time to walk right round and light a few candles. I can never resist lighting a candle in a church.


We didn't venture far into the famous Lady Chapel as to our surprise there was a mother-and-toddler group in full cry, so the huge space was echoing to the sound of happy children.

I was fascinated by the way some of the most ancient doorways were treated when the cathedral underwent alterations in layer centuries. Would this be permitted nowadays?


Even this spectacular and important door appears to have been brutally cut diwn.



I had a go at copying it. That was really difficult,  but it did mean I took the time to look closely at the amazing carvings.


And then back to the cottage and pumping engine house - not as isolated as it looks. We passed quite a few houses and cottages along the lane, and there is a farm beyond, hidden by trees.



2 comments:

  1. Although there is a charge to enter Ely Cathedral, there is a chapel to one side which is free for anyone who wishes to simply go in and pray 🙏. I think that is 😊 good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea. I don't resent paying as a visitor. I don't know if residents of the city, or maybe even the diocese, can go in for free. That would seem fair.

      Delete