Saturday, 8 August 2026

Saturday 8th August - good morning

 

I've propped my kindle up on a book rest, so this isn't a real picture. But a book looks better than a kindle screen. 

I'm re-reading 'Time's Prisoner' by Linda Gillard, an author I enjoy (I finished 'The Trysting Tree' yesterday). She writes about secrets in families, that eventually surface and unravel. Books like these should teach everyone that keeping secrets through the generations can be more destructive than admitting the truth....

There may be mysteries and tears, but there are often 'pause for thought' insights; about friendships,  grief, small pleasures, life in general.  More importantly I don't find them 'heartbreaking, harrowing, gut-wrenching, terrifying'. 

Mostly. The sequel, 'Time's Tyrrany' does have some graphic writing about being a nurse during the worst of 5he covid epidemic. I see a third book in the series is due out in November  - hooray!

I'm avoiding starting the current Book Club choice, 'Pachinko' as the blurb looks a bit threatening to me. But I've got as far as downloading it, at least.

...

Yesterday we visited Winkworth Arboretum in Surrey. I don't know why we've ignored it for so long... well, maybe I do. The last time we went  was perhaps 30 years ago, one cold wet, grey day in Winter. Back then there was just a small muddy parking area among the trees, a little shack for coffee (closed, as I recall) amd random paths diwn, down the steep valley to the lake. Even back then, steep down wards paths used to fill me with dread; when you've walked down, the only way back is up.

It's now entirely changed; car park, huge visitor centre, café, shop, flat buggy-friendly paths through the shade of the trees, excellent loos. Twenty-year-old me would have grumbled about spoiling a lovely wild place; seventy-(nearly)-old-me with reduced stamina and mobility, plus an interest in 'the facilities', heartily approves. 

It's all tinder dry at the moment; the grass, trees, shrubs, leaves all in shades of dusty grey green straw brown, with occasional bursts of colour; a thistle, or a bright cerise buddleia flower.

We went for lunch; a properly pepperly Cornish pasty and bit of salad, and a short walk around.  We'll be going back!

No comments:

Post a Comment