Wednesday 21 July 2021

Wednesday 21st July 2021 - Taking a line for a walk

 

Paul Klee Quotes;. 

A drawing is simply a line going for a walk.

A line is a dot that went for a walk.


Here's a snap-shot of the opening sequence of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue from the film Fantasia 2000. The cartoonist obviously felt the same about music; 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie-TS-BitnQ

and so do I, which was why I was so pleased to see this. I love the piece, but I don't care so much for the rest of the cartoon. I have heard that Gershwin hadn't finished composing the piano part on the opening night, so made up quite a lot of it...

Knitting feels a bit the same; taking the end of a ball of wool for a walk


This is going to be a pot-holder, according to the pattern instructions and the picture. The fuschia tail is where I cast on, and then by some kind of alchemy and incantation I seem to be creating a square spiral. I'm now knitting the last couple of squares so that there will be nine in all, and then I need to wash it violently in hot soap water to make it all felt up into a felted up square. We shall see. Here's the picture on the (free!) pattern.


I have had three goes at doing the spiral one, but haven't managed to get past the fourth row yet. 

I spent this afternoon immersing myself in you-tube tutorials to sew your own tee-shirt, using a favourite old one as a pattern. You place your favourite tee-shirt, folded lengthwise, and take your pencil for a walk around the outside. Seems simple enough... and then you have to consider the stretchy neck band, and how to sew stretchy fabrics with a very basic sewing machine, 



I think I've absorbed most of the instructions, top tips, do's and don't's, one-directional and two-directional stretch etc... so maybe tomorrow I will take a pair of scissors to the skirt I bout about ten years ago but have hardly ever worn.

I want to let all the information settle before I start, so I went and took the hose for a walk, watering the garden after another baking hot day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment