Saturday 30 March 2013

Saturday 30th March - the waiting day

I've decided to mark this day - the strange, dulled, despaired day after Good Friday and before the joy of Easter Sunday, by listening to requiems.

Yesterday I listened to the Karl Jenkins Requiem, with its contrasts of pounding beats and meditative Japanese songs.

I've sung the Verdi, Brahms, Mozart and Faure Requiems over the years. A long time ago I had the amazing opportunity to accompany the Australian soprano, Joan Carden, singing the Pie Jesu from the Faure Requiem in a little country church in Cheshire, at an international family gathering of Cardens from all over the world.

Last night I subdued the sound of the oxygen machine with the Durufle Requiem, which I had never heard before.

I've got the Mozart Requiem loaded ready on my mp3 player.

I'm just thankful, that, unlike the first disciples, we know how the story ends.

 picture taken from a blogpost by Fr Stephen Heard
http://stenya3.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/tale-of-two-paintings.html

No comments:

Post a Comment