Monday 27 February 2023

Monday 27th February - Amaryllis catastrophe

The second stalk my amaryllis bulb collapsed last night, so I am exploring how well they work as a cut flower


It is beautiful - or rather, they are beautiful. Three flowers are fully open and there is another bud behind, out of sight.

'Bored of Lunch' came up trumps again for lunch; garam masala lamb. I cooked a primitive pilau rice, courtesy of Delia Smith's book 'Frugal Food'.  It's the same as this recipe, but you soften some chopped onion and chopped garlic in the oil, and I also added a chopped carrot.  For the pilau flavour I also used a small teaspoon  of  turmeric, a pinch of cinnamon and two cardomom pods. 

I've had fun placing an order for new embroidery threads ready for my next Cross Country Collaboration with Ang. I used a free program that Ang put me on to which will turn a photograph into a cross stitch chart - magic! I've massively simplified the chart it came up with, but it was a huge help in getting me started.

Meanwhile I continue with the sock knitting,  round and round and round I go...


9 comments:

  1. What’s the free program for converting a photo to cross stitch. I’m contemplating a design and it might make life easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixel-stitch.net I don't really know how to use it efficiently; I uploaded a jpeg and fiddled around with the various options...

      Delete
    2. The programme lets you choose the number of squares in your grid, and the number of colours you want to use. I ended up turning my photo into a chart, but then simplifying it on graph paper. But it is a great way to begin the process of turning picture/photo into a stitching chart. And it is FREE.!

      Delete
    3. It opens up loads of possibilities

      Delete
  2. Delia's Frugal Food! Brings back memories. My copy is long gone but I did tear out some pages and they survive in my big recipe binder. Her pilau recipe must be among them, as I used to make it - time for a revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also used to have 'One is fun' when I was a student back in the 1970s...

    ReplyDelete