Monday 1 May 2023

Monday 1st May - Promising start to May, weather-wise

The weather looked pretty good today, apart from a short, fierce shower of rain...

Himself had gone for walk and to post the cross stitch parcel, so I rang him up to ask if he wanted a lift home as I knew he was wearing a showerproof, as opposed to waterproof jacket. It was very disconcerting to hear him answer the call from upstairs. Turns out he had returned, said 'hi', I had answered, all about fifteen minuted ago. Shows how much I was paying attention.

Coincidentally I tripped across this on another blog (spinsterstitcher.blogspot.com) this morning;

Indeed.


The Molly Clavering book - 'Mrs Lorimer's Quiet Summer' was so right for my current state of mind that I hunted to see if I had any more - yes, two, which I read last year, or maybe the year before. I vaguely remember the plots, but not enough to matter. So I have started 'Touch not the nettle' which is a little awkward, because the other one, 'Susan Settles Down' comes first. Am I bothered? Not really!

Our book club choice is 'The Instant', a memoir by Amy Liptrot. I have started it, and t is interesting, but not a 'light' read. A couple of pages, and my head is full of things that need thinking about. One of the other suggestions was Joan Bakewell's memoir 'The tick of two clocks' sounds much more the sort of thing that I would enjoy, and I will buy a copy anyway. 

Buying second hand books from the 'World of Books' website is my current pleasure, although I haven't failed to notice that when I send old books back to them (via ziffit) they give me pence, but charge me pounds when I buy them! (Fair enough though - staff, storage, postage....)




    

3 comments:

  1. I've just read Molly Claverings book "Dear Hugo" - really enjoyed it but her others are all over £10 online and the library don't have any either - I shall add them to my wish list for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to suggest world of books 2nd hand, but they don't have any at the moment. Ah well, another time?

      Delete
  2. Once again my fat finger caught the delete button rather than the publiah button... sorry Chris! Kindle is just SO tempting for an instant download. I console myself that it costs less than a coffee and cake, and won't add to my calories...

    Chris has left a new comment on your post 'Monday 1st May - Promising start to May, weather-wise':

    I looked up 'Mrs Lorimer's Quiet Summer and I think I'd enjoy it, I checked if my library had copies but no, so I'll buy it for my kindle.. The most recent books for our Book Group have been dire, so I didn't finish them, I'm hoping this months will be better, just read Mad Bees and loved it.

    ReplyDelete