Monday 29 April 2024

Monday 29th April

 As I expected, the reaction to the covid vaccination is slowing me down.

The intention was to 'take it easy', and that has sort of happened... I refrained from spreading 'slug wool' around my broad beans, partly because I couldn't summon the strength to break the seal on the container, partly because spreading 'slug wool' wouldn't really count as taking it easy! I'll just have to hope the little plants survive another night, and I can get the job done tomorrow. 

The sprouts are continuing to grow...

Alfalfa;


Mung beans


I also started a bean, well two beans, a borlotti bean and a French bean, in a jam jar. I set this up at the time time as the alfalfa sprouts but nothing is showing yet.


I still haven't worked out where to put my sprouting jars, so they are cluttering up the draining board and generally getting in the way for now.

Otherwise I have been reading... I can recommend 'Smallbone Deceased' by Michael Gilbert, written in 1950, if you like D L Sayers. Now I am re-reading 'Dancers in Mourning', a Peter Campion mystery by Margery Allingham. I always have to read her books several times before I begin to work out what is going on. I'm also listening to Richard Coles 'Death in the Parish' on audible with a lot of pleasure.

Knitting- a few rows on poncho no 2. I'm using the yarn front a giant granny square blanket which I never finished. I've had the bright, but possibly crazy idea that if I reuse a 20 inch square from the crochet blanket, and just knit a 10 inch strip along one side then the second side is more or less complete already!

I'm therefore going to bind off the first side when I have knitted a 20 inch square and then sew two 10 inch granny squares along one knitted edge. That way each side will be part crochet, part garter stitch. It will look amazing, interesting or completely bonkers.

2 comments:

  1. I have had an appalling reaction from Covid jab this week. I have to keep being thankful that we have it. I did beans in jam jars one year, just out of nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor you. I'm just feeling rather seedy, a little fragile and tired and achey.

      Delete