Thursday 9 May 2024

Thursday 8th May

 I discovered this piece of garden lore on the Patio Postcards blog

She lives in Ontario, Canada, and I wondered how many of the sayings would apply to us over here. I asked if I could share it on this blog, and she replied that she had found it on the internet, so I was welcome to use it. 

It makes a lot of sense that you could deduce when it was time for sowing different seeds by watching for things like apple blossom and lilac flowers. The dates are not fixed by the calendar, but more variable depending what the Winter and early Spring were like (dismal, this year!)

  

2 comments:

  1. I'm not really sure when all these things such as bearded irises doing their thing happen, but in our part of France, there is definitely a tradition that you don't plant out tender young plants until the "Ice Saints" have passed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Saints)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting. I followed up the Wikipedia link. I wish we were more aware of the Saint's days. Apart from a very few (George, Patrick, David for example) they mostly pass me by without registering.

    ReplyDelete